Celebrating almost 80 years of continuous medical practice in Tralee.
Dr Denis Buckley established a single handed general practice at 36 Ashe Street, Tralee in 1938 and worked there continuously for almost fifty years until he retired in 1984. For the next five years Mr Fionán O’Carroll, consultant orthopaedic surgeon and Dr Bob Fitzsimons, consultant paediatrician, carried out their private practice from this same premises in 36 Ashe Street.
Dr David Buckley returned to Tralee in 1989 having worked in Dublin for the previous five years and having spent two years working as a volunteer doctor in Africa with APSO, the Irish government aid agency.
Dr David Buckley started initially on his own in 36 Ashe Street. After six months he employed a secretary and after eighteen months he employed a nurse. In 1992 Dr David extended the practice into an adjacent building and established “The Ashe Street Clinic”, one of Kerry’s first multidisciplinary primary health care centres.
Mr Ger Hill, dental surgeon and Mary P. Browne, chartered physiotherapist, joined the practice in 1992. Mary Barrett joined as a practice manager in 1997. Dr Uwe Hild joined the group as a general practitioner, counsellor and homeopath in 2000. Dr Karen Soffe joined the practice as a general practitioner with a special interest in women’s health and orthopaedic medicine in 2004. The Ashe Street Clinic is a training practice for the Southwest Specialist Training Programme in General Practice since 2012. “Hidden Hearing” provide an audiology and hearing aid service in The Ashe Street Clinic since 2011.
From its humble beginnings with one doctor (Dr. David Buckley), The Ashe Street Clinic has now grown from two rooms and now comprises twelve consulting rooms, two reception areas and two waiting rooms.
The clinic has a wide range of people working in the clinic offering a diverse range of services including:
- Four doctors
- One dentist
- One physiotherapist
- An audiologist
- A practice nurses
- A dental nurse
- An aesthetician and laser technician
- A Counsellor
- A diabetic nurse specialist
- A practice Manager
- Four secretaries/receptionists
We provide a wide range of services including the following:
- General Practice (including Blood Pressure, Asthma, Diabetic and Heartwatch clinics.)
- Dermatology (for all skin, hair and nail problems)
- Dental Clinic
- Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic
- Aesthetic Laser Clinic (including laser hair removal, Botox©, fillers, chemical peels, microneedling for wrinkles and scars, etc.)
- Allergy Clinic (testing and treatment of allergic problems including Asthma, Hay Fever, Eczema, Food Allergies, etc.)
- Surgical Clinic (approved by VHI, LAYA, AVIVA, GLO and most work schemes, for removal or warts, verrucae, moles, skin cancer, ingrown toenails, lumps and bumps, etc.)
- Medicheck/Femcheck – A comprehensive medical check-up for men and women.
- Foreign Travel Advice and Vaccination Clinic (W.H.O. approved)
- Childhood vaccination clinic
- Women’s Health Clinic (including Maternity, Family Planning and Menopausal Care)
- Sexual Health Clinic
- Audiology clinic (for hearing testing and hearing aids)
- Occupational Medicine